Ready to do more for yourself and the earth?
You can make a real impact by doing one simple thing:
bringing reusable containers for leftovers when you go to restaurants.
Do it a couple times, and it becomes your new normal. Inspire others by example and it becomes their new normal. Now we have a powerful movement underway!
“Which containers should I use?”
Tips For Success
- GET REUSABLE CONTAINERS WITH SEALING COVERS. You may already have these at home for storing leftovers in the fridge. Bring a few with you to the restaurant; useful sizes hold from 1 to 4 cups.
- TEST FOR LEAKAGE. At home, put water into the container, cover it, turn it upside down, shake it, do a little dance, and make sure nothing spills out.
- STORE CONTAINERS IN YOUR CAR AT ALL TIMES. And put them right back in the car after you’ve used them. If you don’t typically drive to restaurants, place them in a conspicuous spot near the door or just keep them in a bag, purse, or backpack.
- DON’T LEAVE THE CONTAINERS IN THE CAR WHEN YOU GET TO THE RESTAURANT. BRING THEM IN. This way, you’ll avoid a trip back to the car. And you won’t be tempted to think, “Oh, I’ll just do it next time.” Every toxic container you eliminate matters.
- PACK THE LEFTOVERS YOURSELF. Servers may be surprised at first, but they adjust—it gives them less to do!
- MAKE IT THE NEW NORMAL. You might feel awkward or embarrassed about packing your own leftovers. That is just social conditioning that says, “Don’t think, just follow the old normal even if it harms your health and the planet.” But this messaging is just as toxic as the old single-use containers. The reality is, restaurants welcome your containers because it saves them money. Your example will inspire other diners to get on board, too. Be the change you want to see in the world. Soon it will be the new normal. You can do this. We can do this!